Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Ultimate Kayak for Southern Ontario Urbanites

When I meet other outdoor enthusiasts it’s only a matter of time before the discussion turns to our shared passion for outdoor pursuits. When we talk about canoes and kayaks there seems to be a common concern amongst urbanites, who make up the vast majority of outdoor enthusiasts in Southern Ontario; that is, storage and transportation.

“Man, I’d love to own a kayak to take along camping or to use for a leisurely paddle down one of Southern Ontario’s many rivers, but I just don’t have room to keep it. I live in an apartment and drive a compact car. It’s just not worth the hassle.”

If that thought echoes true with you then get ready for something that will blow you away, and still leave a bit of coin in your wallet. Ever heard of a company called Folbot? Did you know that they have been building folding kayaks for ¾ of a century? Well neither had I until recently.

I must admit that I haven’t actually slipped into the cockpit of a Folbot yet, but the concept certainly has me intrigued. Their lineup ranges from two seater sea kayaks to smaller kayaks weigh in at a mere 24 pounds, and slip into a backpack that will comfortably fit into virtually any back seat or trunk. Some models are even compact enough to strap on your back while you’re biking. Just imagine biking to the stream or lake with your watercraft on your back. Talk about the ultimate eco friendly solution!

You can learn more about these practical folding kayaks at http://www.folbot.com/. And you can watch a video and judge for yourself at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxzQWhaaZQ. According to David AvRutick, President of Folbot, all North American sales (including Canada) are direct from factory to the customer, and each kayak comes with a 30 day “no questions asked” return policy and a lifetime warranty.

Myself, I’ve never owned a kayak for the simple reason that the garage is already full. But, I do think I can find a place for one of these compact wonders. Hmm, I wonder if I can slide this one past my wife.

Southern Ontario is an oasis of waterways. We have everything from the Great Lakes to shallow marshlands; from the mighty Niagara River to the gentle Grand or Thames. Whatever your preference or mode of transportation, get out and enjoy Southern Ontario’s waterways this spring.

Be sure to visit us a Southern Ontario Outdoors.

©2009 Lloyd Fridenburg – All rights reserved click here for copyright permissions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Don't like it? Have another opinion? We value your comments.